Ear defenders or ear muffs are PPE (personal protective equipment) designed to protect the wearer from extreme noises. They’re usually used by people like builders, mechanics, and other people who do work where they are exposed to repetitive loud noises. However, for some people like those with autistic spectrum conditions, noise sensitivity, William’s Syndrome, PTSD, or other conditions that might cause acute hyperacusis (noise sensitivity) ear defenders can be immensely useful for helping to dull the overwhelming noise of everyday life.
Some people use noise cancelling headphones instead of ear defenders. I plan on doing a post soon about cheap models of NC headphones, but for now I’ll just mention so-called passive defenders (e.g. ones without microphones that cancel noise).
So, here are 5 pairs of ear defenders under £10 (for comparison, most are £20 or over):
1.) Warrior 25 dB Ear Defenders (0114M) – £1.85 from Nationwide Workwear
Ear Defenders. Large padded foam-filled ear cups with height adjustment.
– Lightweight & Robust
– Cost Effective Protection
– Adjustable Size
– ABS Cups, Polypropylene Head Band & PVC Covered Open Cell Foam Pads
2.) The new Classic GP® – £7.35 from Safety Supply Company
The new Classic GP® ear defenders have been designed with comfort in mind for those requiring hearing protection for extended periods.
– Twin point mounted cups for even pressure distribution
– Self adjusting cups for a perfect fit & a good seal against noise
– Close fitting wire headband for Comfort Adjustability
– Low risk of entanglement on machinery
– Soft foam cushions for all day comfort
– Durable Acylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) cups
– Conforms to EN 352-1
– SNR = 27
– H=35 M=24 L=15
3.) Ear Defenders by Earbudeze – £9.50 (exc. VAT) from Sensory Direct
These ear defender can also be folded to fit easily in your bag or pocket and they come with a padded headband.
Approximate Product Dimensions: (H) 10 cm s 12 cm (folded); (H) 17 cm x 13 cm (opened).
– Lightweight, compact and easy to use
– Ear Defenders conform to EN352-1 and are CE marked
– Fully adjustable
– Suitable for ages from 12 months to Adult
Available in Blue, Red and Lime Green
4.) 3M Peltor Optime Protective Ear Muffs – £5.00 from SafetyShop
- Soft, wide cushions for comfortable wear
- Slimline cups for a more compact design
- Sealing rings filled with fluid and foam
Their slim design makes these ear muffs easy to store and carry, which means they’re more convenient than some larger models. With their bright yellow design, they’re easy to keep track of and they increase the wearer’s visibility.
5.) Stanley Premium Ear Defenders 26dB SNR – £8.99 from ScrewFix
- Soft, foam-filled ear defenders with fully adjustable, padded headband providing all-day comfort.
- 26dB Standard Noise Reduction
- ABS Plastic Construction
- Adjustable, Padded Headband
- Soft Foam Ear Cushion
Stay safe, friends. x